Cyprus GOW Past Editions
The Cyprus Computer Society was the first national partner to coordinate GOW campaign in Cyprus in 2016. The Cyprus Computer Society (CCS) is a professional and independent not-for-profit organization, seeking to improve and promote high standards amongst informatics professionals, in recognition of the impact that informatics has on employment, business, society as well as on the quality of life of citizens.
Planned activities on Trust & Confidence:
- Cyber Security Presentations at Private Schools for students and teachers: Organized informative visits to (high school) to talk about digital identities, online safety and data privacy.
- Cyber Security Tips for parents: “Protect kids online” presentation by an international speaker specialized in Cyber Security. The event was organized in cooperation with the Federation of Parents Association of Secondary and Primary Education.
Planned activities on Digital Jobs:
- Through their participation in the national e-skills for jobs project (that we take part every year) in cooperation with the project’s national partner CITEA (Cyprus IT Enterprises Association), CCS focused on the promotion of digital jobs.
- Participation in 3 International Educational Exhibitions: (30-31/01 in Nicosia, 19-21/02 Nicosia & 9-10/4 Limassol) where they set up a GOW Information Desk (more than 15,000 guests expected for each exhibition).
- Code Cyprus Event (workshop and competition) organised at the UCLAN University 10 days before the GOW, where GOW activities were announced.
- Design, print and dissemination of a Flyer about Digital Jobs: it was disseminated through all partners and media channels described below.
- Free seminars on ICT Basic Skills for unemployed organized through their ECDL Centres’ Network all over Cyprus: Lessons on MS Word and Online Essentials on how to use the Internet, email and social media. Addressed to unemployed women in cooperation with local workers unions and young unemployed people in cooperation with local Chapters of the Youth Board of Cyprus.
- Free workshops on coding, programming and robotics for students: In cooperation with the EU project CoderDojo and university professors.
- Visits to a number of schools to have presentations on ICT Skills and Digital Jobs: In cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Online Programming Competition for students of elementary, high school and college/university students.
- Promotion of the employability tools Skillage.Eu and YouRock.Jobs through the Chapters of the Youth Board of Cyprus
CCS is the national ECDL Licensee and has a network of over 200 ECDL Education and Test Centres in all cities and villages of the country with a total clientele of more than 25,000 students of all ages and levels. The campaign was also promoted on CCS and ECDL websites and social media sites, through email dissemination to over 5,000 recipients, and partners’ websites and other channels.
Contact: Mrs. Christina Papamiltiadou